Wednesday 9 June 2010

Blog Post #6 - 2nd August, 2009

One of the things I love most about writing is how, just when you've given your writing up for lost, an inspirational voice can come from out of nowhere. Elysium had stagnated, writing was slow going. I had lost my main character's voice, somewhere along the way my protagonist had split into multiple personalities. No one was narrating. The main characters I once loved were now weak, my Heroines lily livered. I was beginning to despise my writing. I had tension, I had climax but still the writing didn't feel like home.


Then I watched 7 Pounds, Wil Smiths latest movie release. And I was blown away! So subtle, so clever, so powerful. Inspired to write just as brilliantly I lept from the couch and opened up the laptop.

Elysium did not have a narrator, the story was told by several main characters, but no one was observing the whole!

What the writing needs, what Elysium needs, is a main character, a heroine, a protagonist. I thought I had never had a narrator, I thought I'd missed the main character. I thought the re-write was going to introduce whole new protagonist. But I can see clearly now. Elysium always had a main character, a protagonist, a heroine. Angel, my sweet Angel, sitting in the sidelines, unobtrusive but integral to the discourse. Angel, my protagonist, my heroine, my main character.

Now that I have found her Angel can use her voice, she can narrate, observe other characters, supply authoritative direction, meaning and substance. Angel will tie up all of the loose strings and bring Elysium home.

Angel Grace, narrator, heroine, protagonist, pleased to meet you. I can't wait to hear your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment