Wednesday 9 June 2010

Blog Post #3 - 1st July, 2009

Here I sit, staring at my computer screen for a third day in a row, and all I can summon is a blank. There's a best seller in there somewhere, I can feel it. My fingers itch to bang out vivid prose, my monkey mind swings from the ropes of my imagination, spilling forth insane chatter. So what is it that's stopping me from starting on my third draft of Elysium? Or picking up where I left off, 10,000 words into my first draft of They're Coming?




Is it fear of failure?



Nope because I know I have it in me to be a great writer.



Is it writers block?



Nu huh, I have pages, sheaves, VOLUMES of notes and ideas.



So....



Well, the answer is not leaping off the page, clearly I just need to stop fluffing about on here, or facebook, or twitter and just WRITE already!



Okay so here it is, I am embarking on my dream, I'm reaching for the sky, climbing out of my comfort zone and exposing my heart to the cold cruel world. Enough metaphor's? Do you want to come along for the ride?



This writer is taking a leap of faith in gigantanormous proportions. I am embarking on a journey so common, so familiar, so usual that I hope there'll be millions of others out there that have skipped merrily down the same shadowed path. Full of good spirits and self assured confidence I'm sure I will trip up on the loose stones of rejection. No doubt I will have to navigate the crooked streets of delusion. Nonetheless, as those that have come before me I will endeavour to write. And from first draft to publishing, I will share my highs and lows.



Rain on my parade, storm my convictions and strike me down with enthusiasm, but I will write on. My gum boots will fill to overflowing, my socks will get soggy and uncomfortable and my umbrella is bound to collapse under the weight of it all, but there will be a light at the end of the page. The journey will be worth the effort. For out there, somewhere, is a publisher that is dying, positively dying I tell you, to publish my novel.



Today the sky is blue, only fluffy white clouds drift by and it is a pleasantly mild kind of day. The sun is shining and my bravado is in tact. A perfect day for a stroll down Novice Novelist Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment